The Atheologist

Theology is the study of theism; Atheology is the study of atheism. I am The Atheologist. Why don’t Atheists embrace religion when the vast majority of humans do? Why are Atheists regarded by most of society as thugs, rabble, vermin and generally naughty people. The Atheologist will attempt to seek out the true answers to these and many more questions by using logical assumptions, interviews with people of all faiths and really, really good research. The Atheologist wants to know.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
  • Definitions , Email the Atheologist
  • Friday, May 19, 2006

    Can Christians Be Angry Too?

    The recent article by Rabbi Gellman, made the point that Atheists are often very angry individuals. One of the Atheologist’s readers named 'Tommy', left a comment yesterday on the Atheologist’s post on the subject. This was the comment:

    “You know what? I wrote you a long letter in answer to your idiot diatribe and then discovered I had to join a blog site. Of course this wiped out my letter and I would have had to write it all over again. I decided you just weren't worth the trouble.”

    For some reason he seemed a little upset at the Atheologist, angry even.
    The Atheologist did a little research and came to find out that this individual did in fact have his own blog, he was just not aware of that fact. His blog is entitled “Defending The King”. And in the first post on his blog, “Dang it. I'm getting fed up with it!”, it appears that he is a very angry Christian.
    Now the Atheologist, being the fact finding, I report you decide, kind of investigator became a little suspicious after reading his post. Could this individual be one of the many bloggers who are not in fact what they make themselves out to be? (That’s going around a lot these days.) Could it be that this blogger is pretending to be a Christian and is actually an Atheist? Look at what made the Atheologist suspicious - Several statements in his post, like when he was referring to:
    (1) his daughter- “ I'd sure like to ring her neck sometimes and smack some sense into her.”
    (2) Atheists- “I guess I'm going to go now and find me an atheist to beat up! (Just kidding)”
    (3) those with differing opinions- “If you don't like what you read here drop me a line anyway and then I'll meet you out behind the barn! (kidding again)”
    The Atheologist was very surprised that a Christian could actually resort to violence, (or was he really just kidding?); I don’t believe that Jesus ever did, resort to violence that is, come to think of it I don't think that Jesus kidded around much either. Could this in actuality be an Atheist’s attempt to put Christians in a bad light? The Atheologist had to find out.
    The Atheologist went undercover, this time disguised as a concerned Christian. The Atheologist shot out this email to Tommy:

    “I don't think you picked a good title for a blog. You seem to be saying that our King is weak and needs help defending himself. As a Christian who has debated many atheists before I think that they will turn that around and use it against you.”


    'Tommy' responded with:

    “As you well know then, not only do atheist believe our King may be 'weak' they believe our King doesn't even exist. This blog is directed to a godless society on a secular level that even they can understand.
    I agree with you in that our King does not need defending however, that is 'preaching to the choir'. I stand by my title. Should I be attacked for it I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
    In a round about sort of way Peter defends God when he warns of false prophets and teachers. (Pt. 2f). Perhaps not the same thing exactly as I am saying but I think you get the point.
    Well Mr. (name withheld to protect the Atheologist's pseudonym) , it was very good to hear from you and I do welcome your comments. Being human and relatively a young Christian yet, I need guidance and shoring up from time to time. Fortunately, I'm a fast learner!
    Walk in Faith. –Tommy”


    Well now, it does seem that this particular blogger really is what he professes to be. What a relief!
    So, it seems that not just Atheists, but Christians can get angry sometimes too. Well even the Atheologist, (and maybe Rabbi Gellman), I guess, can learn something new everyday!

    The Atheologist

    15 Comments:

    Blogger Baconeater said...

    Are you a Christian? You gave me the impression that you are an Atheist. I think your blog name means "without theology or theologists" so that doesn't mean you don't believe the Jesus wasn't a miracle man.

    2:25:00 PM  
    Blogger The Atheologist said...

    beaj,

    Are you trying to confuse me? I have never professed, in any of my posts, to being an atheist. But for the Atheologist question – I stand by the- “Theology is the study of theism; Atheology is the study of atheism.” statement. You know, like botany is the study of bots, or podiatry is the study of pods.

    3:06:00 PM  
    Blogger Baconeater said...

    Atheology is not the study of Atheism.

    Atheology

    \A`the*ol"o*gy\, n. [Pref. a- not + theology.] Antagonism to theology. --Swift.

    3:43:00 PM  
    Blogger The Atheologist said...

    beaj,

    What does Webster say about Atheology?

    cp,

    I never thought about it that way, and I won't take him up on it.

    9:51:00 PM  
    Blogger Sadie Lou said...

    I liked this post! I plan on reading this blog more in the future.
    I have run into your comments a couple of times on Jewish Atheist's blog and I respect your straightforward delivery. I think it's important to call people to the mat on the way they come across on the internet. There was this one woman I ran into several times on a mutual blog. She was always making sexual comments and never really adding any content to the posts. I clicked on her name to go to her blog and I was shocked to see she was a wife and mother. I simply asked her why she comes across as such a "party girl" and it turned into this big fiasco.
    She ended up taking her blog down. I suspect her hubby agreed with me.
    Sorry that was so long winded.

    11:28:00 PM  
    Blogger The Atheologist said...

    Thank you for the kind words Sadie, it wasn’t long winded at all. I wish I had more time for my blog and to comment on other blogs but I don’t.
    I have added you to my blogroll in the Christian section, I can move you to the miscellaneous if you’d rather be there.

    9:42:00 AM  
    Blogger Sadie Lou said...

    Thanks for the link. The Christian section is where I'd like to be.
    :)
    I plan on visiting more in the future--don't worry about not having a lot of time; it's quality not quantity.

    5:27:00 PM  
    Blogger Sadie Lou said...

    quick question:

    did the blog in question here go back and add the phrase "just kidding" after you posted this? Because I clicked on the link you offered and I saw that after he wrote "If you don't like what you read here you can meet me behind the barn" he also wrote" (just kidding again)"
    Perhaps you were a little hasty in your rendering of this blogger?

    4:48:00 PM  
    Blogger The Atheologist said...

    Sadie Lou,

    The, “just kiddings” were always in his post. Thank you for pointing that out, I have updated my post and added them in.
    I would like to know why he has to even hint at being violent, (3 times in a relatively short post is a lot), even if he was “just kidding”.

    9:38:00 PM  
    Blogger Rev. BigDumbChimp said...

    You sure he was resorting to violence? Looks like a backwoods mating ritual to me. I wouldn't take him up on it if I were you ;-)

    I was worried about this too.

    11:24:00 PM  
    Blogger The Atheologist said...

    Tommy,

    If you and the others, who are always babbling about how Christians are being persecuted in the USA, would only back up your statements with an occasional fact or two then maybe you would be taken more seriously. When you make statements like, “However, lately it seems to be open season on Christians.” or “Why do they insist on hatefully attacking us every chance they get? Why do they want to take away our American right to believe as we see fit?”, you are obviously not living in the real world.

    The fact of the matter is that it is usually Atheists who are being discriminated against and persecuted, not the other way around.

    And you can’t fool us, we know what goes on in Fort Smith Arkansas.

    10:07:00 AM  
    Blogger The Atheologist said...

    Hey Tommy,

    There isn't one fact in what you just babbled about how Christians are being persecuted in the USA..

    Which school systems removed Christianity? And personal prayer was also removed? Did you hear that on Fox "news" along with the famous 'war on Christmas'?

    Our government was never founded on Christian principles. Have you ever heard of Common Law? It originated long before your god and religion was stolen from the pagans.

    Even 4 of the Ten Commandments are unconstitutional. Did you know that? Wake up and go away.

    9:11:00 AM  
    Blogger The Atheologist said...

    You go girl!

    He says that he's a relatively young Christian, but it looks like he has already lost the ability to think critically.

    2:58:00 PM  
    Blogger Baconeater said...

    He is relatively young compared to how old he thinks the earth is.

    He is 53 according to his blog.

    6:27:00 PM  
    Blogger Jennifer said...

    As an atheist/former Christian/40-year-old motorcycle mama, I have come to the conclusion that people are either angry or not angry, and it does not seem to matter which religion they espouse or don't espouse. I've known angry Mormons, Jews, atheists, Christians, Muslims (we ALL know angry Muslims, don't we?), even Buddhists. It's like a bad personality trait. I also have noticed that every group on the planet thinks they are persecuted. My lesbian friends think the world is dead against them, my gay friends think everyone wants to string them up. Heck, fat people will say they are the only acceptable group to kick around anymore. Christians and Muslims tend to get rankled up when you so much express a different opinion! I do not even discuss religion with theists anymore because I do not care to listen to them or try to change their point of view. They are never interested in what I have to say anyway. They just want to make a conversion. My sister is a Bible thumper and she asked me one time why I am not a believer anymore (in a sweet voice: "I really want to know what turned you from God. I REALLY do. Please tell me."). I tried to answer her, but before I got to my second sentence she was already screaming, "LIAR! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!" It did not go well.

    12:37:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home